Saturday, October 9, 2010

Being Patient For Wishes

On Thursday night, the women in the church had their monthly meeting.  Recently, I was on the phone with the gal who was the host and she happened to mention her high chair.  I asked her if she would like mine.  Eli had grown to big for it.  She replied that she would indeed like to have it--that it was an answer to a desire in her heart that she hadn't even been praying for recently.  It was a huge blessing to me--to get to pass on something that had in turn originally been a blessing to me.  I had found the high chair at a garage sale in the two weeks before Eli was born.  I realized I needed one and God had graciously provided one--for $10 at a garage sale.  It was a $70 or $80 high chair.  I took it home and cleaned it up and it looked awesome--it was a diamond in the rough.  It always brings me joy when I get the chance to share something with someone else that had been a blessing to me.

Often I can't find anyone who wants the things that are precious to me--that are symbolic to me of God's provision for my family.  I've taken to simply donating them to the local thrift store--which happens to be a favorite spot of one of my friends.  I know that people find treasures there and the funds from that shop bless American Veterans.  But, there's something about getting to simply give something--without any funds changing hands.

After the meeting, I called the gal to let her know what a blessing it was to get to see her home.  I love getting to see family's personalities reflected in their homes.  You get to know someone when you see their home.  We talked a bit about the high chair and I shared with her about what a blessing it was to give it to her.  She shared how she had wanted one a long time ago, but hadn't asked and it just didn't seem to be the right time.  She made a wise comment that I want to remember.

She said--that sometimes there is patience required on the part of the receiver as much as it is required on the part of the giver.  There is effort and waiting involved--holding onto the item and looking for the right home for it.    It isn't a holding on for the sake of hoarding and not letting go.  It is like flying in a holding pattern and waiting to land.

This morning my garage saling partner and I set out with the kids.  When I realized that we weren't going to do anymore shopping this fall, I was a little concerned but we decided to set out one more week.  What a blessing it was!

I have wanted a digital camera for the kids to play with for several years.  I just thought they'd have fun with it.  But, they ranged in price from $35-$60.  My husband didn't think it would be wise and so we never decided to get one for them.  This morning I found one for $1.  It needed to be cleaned up, needed new batteries and didn't have a USB cable.  So, I knew I was taking a chance.  I brought it home, replaced the batteries and tried out the cords I had.  Guess what?  One of them works!

The camera is the Little Tikes pink camera that retails for $35.  It doesn't take the greatest pictures--but the kids are having a great time with it and are excited to have it.  I'm thankful I waited.  I'm thankful I didn't buy one when I'd wanted one for the kids before.  I'm thankful I was patient.  But, most of all, I'm thankful for how God blessed us with a little camera for the kids to play with.

I'm going to try and keep in mind more often what my friend said about patience--both in receiving and giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment