Middle Eastern Pumpkin Soup
2 cups diced onions
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 cup peeled and sliced carrots
2 ½ cups chopped pumpkin (½” chunks)
1 ½ tsp salt
2 ½ cups chicken broth
1 ¼ cups apple juice
¼ cup tomato sauce
¼ cup water
1 tsp cumin
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp paprika
1-2 cups diced cooked chicken (I used some from 2 leftover chicken thighs that I cooked on Sunday)
- Dice onions and saute in olive oil.
- Begin chopping carrots. When they are chopped, add to the onions. Then, peel and cut the fresh pumpkin (or butternut squash) into small cubes (1/2”) and add to the onions. Saute for a few more minutes.
- Add liquids and spices. Cook over medium heat.
- Simmer for 15 minutes and then check vegetables for softness. Continue cooking until vegetables are soft, but not mushy. Then, put 2 cups of soup in blender and puree. Return pureed mixture to pot and mix in.
- Add chicken and stir till chicken is heated.
- Optional: You can serve sour cream on the side to dollop onto the soup.