Sunday, June 17, 2018

A Father's Day Treat: Shrimp Cocktail

Today we tried something that we haven't done in years.  I don't think I've ever actually fixed it for my kids before even though it's so simple.

Shrimp Cocktail

I usually buy raw shrimp for cooking at home.  But, today I decided to buy some cooked shrimp for Shrimp Cocktail.  I bought 16-20/lb size cooked shrimp.

Instead of buying cocktail sauce, I quickly looked up a recipe on my phone while we were in the store and discovered I'd be able to whip it up very quickly at home, but I needed some creamed horseradish.

Here's what I made...

Cocktail Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp. horseradish
1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
squeeze one wedge of lemon juice into the sauce (I squeezed 2-3 wedges).

For the spicy cocktail sauce person, modify the amount of horseradish.  I took about 1/3 of the mixture out and put it in a separate bowl and added an extra teaspoon of creamed horseradish.

The best thing about making cocktail sauce at home is that you can adjust the zinginess of the sauce.  I could make it non-zingy for my daughter and very zingy for my husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment