It sounds a little strange to make rhubarb muffins, but these muffins are truly yummy! I've made them twice within 5 days because I really, really liked them. And my kids ate them too! I did finely chop the rhubarb and mince the nuts to make them smaller and more palatable for the kids.
3/4 cups brown sugar 1/2 cup salad oil 1 egg 2 tsp vanilla extract 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt or 1 cup. milk soured with 2 tsp. lemon juice 1 1/2 cups finely diced rhubarb 1/2 cups pecan pieces, minced 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (you can do 1 1/2 cups white flour and 1 cup wheat flour)
Procedure:1 tsp baking powder 1 tsp baking soda 1/2 tsp salt Topping: 1/3 cup sugar 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tbsp melted butter 1 tsp flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 15 medium-sized muffin cups.
- Combine in large bowl: brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Stir dry ingredients into mixture.
- Then add rhubarb and nuts.
- Fill prepared muffin pan 3/4 full with batter.
- Quickly combine topping ingredients in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of batter in each muffin cup.
- Bake in preheated oven on center shelf 15 to 20 minutes. (closer to 20)