Monday, May 17, 2010

Homeschooling

I read a book 9 years ago called Feminism: Mystique or Mistake by Diane Passno.  It had a huge impact on me and changed my thoughts about a lot of things, since I was probably what you might call an evangelical feminist at the time.  But, that's a story for another time =)  Anyways, at the end of the book was a chapter about moms. Though I wasn't a mom at the time, the lessons in that chapter have always stuck with me.


The basic gist of the chapter was that moms who are working should show grace to the moms who stay at home and vice versa.  Moms at home often desire the affirmation at work and the break from their kids.  Moms at work are jealous of the time stay at home moms get with their kids.  There can be a mutual situation of envy and there are pros and cons to both sets of shoes.  The author's point is that what's most important is that we are where God wants us to be.  We don't have to feel guilty if we are where God wants us to be.  If we feel called to work, then we should lay that before our husbands and submit to them--if they think we should or shouldn't.  Many women have to work because their families need the second income.  Some don't need to work, though they desire to for the extra income.  More often than not, I think choosing to live on one income does involve making choices that will save money and saying no to ourselves about things we want.


A moment ago, I was reminded of this chapter when I thought of a conversation I had on Saturday about homeschooling.  I enjoy homeschooling, but it is hard.  Many moms who are homeschooling often wish their kids were in school and many moms whose children are in school wish their kids were homeschooling.  I don't think homeschooling isn't the wisest choice for everyone and friends who are veteran homeschoolers have told me this over the years.  It is the wisest choice for some though.  In the end, I think that what's most important is that our children are where God wants them to be--whether that is in public, private, or home schools.


Just a thought =)

No comments:

Post a Comment