Monday, May 17, 2010

The struggle of saying No

There is a constant struggle of saying no to ourselves.  I am realizing this.  Sometimes I'm good at it and sometimes I'm horrible at it.  I have realized today that I need to limit my computer time.  I am going to check in the afternoon during naps and rest time and maybe at night time.  Other than that, I need to step back.  


None of us like being told no.  Our budgets are one big No!  I think that's the hardest part about sticking to a budget actually--saying no to ourselves and things we want.  I'm great at justifying things =), but I know this about myself so I try to face up to it.


A few things I don't always say no to myself about...
Going out to eat near the end of the month
Garage Saling--I've really been working on buying the things first that we need and not just what I want.
Time on the computer--I take too much time and I get on the computer too often during the day.
Desiring Quiet
Holding my tongue when I'm angry
and I'm sure there are many more, but I wanted to share a few examples.


So, how can we say no?
Here's the ideas I have right at this moment:
1)  Get into a routine.  A routine can help me avoid the temptation that I need to say no to.
2)  Doing things we don't like to do early in the day before the things we really like to do
3)  Praying!  We need to be in the Word and trusting God for strength
4)  Take our eyes off ourselves and put them back on our families, work, or homes.  
5)  Setting boundaries--like my internet one I'm going to try and get back on track with.  These things are both boundaries and habits.   We make habits of avoiding things that we know aren't good for us.
6)  Stay out of stores (if money is the issue).
7)  Stay off the computer for shopping (if money is the issue)
8)  Make a list or a plan for the day of what you want to get done.  Planning a day can take away the time that we were being flexible with, when in reality we use it for the things we want to do and we fritter away the time.
9)  Write God's Word on our hearts.  We need to know and believe that God is working in all things.
10) We need to choose to be grateful and focus on the yeses in our lives and let go of the nos.


I think 10 is a good place to start.  I'm going to start working on these things.  Please know that I made this list for myself.  I have been convicted the past few days about this and I don't think I've been listening very well--because I have been resistant and haven't wanted to say no to myself.  But, I believe that this is what God desires of me.  I need to begin saying no to myself more.

No comments:

Post a Comment