Sunday, October 14, 2018

Advice I remembered about kitchens...

Years ago, I was in a friend's house talking with her about her kitchen.  She mentioned something to me that she had read on an organizer's website.  I never went to the website and found the advice she mentioned, but I have tucked away the advice and pulled it out every single day since.

The advice was about where to start when organizing your kitchen.  The friend said the organizer said to start with your counters!  Clean them off.  Clear everything off of them that doesn't absolutely have to be there. 

So, when we moved last December into a new home, I knew immediately that our new kitchen was going to be a big adjustment for me.  No kitchen island.  Less counter space.  Many fewer cupboards.  Choices to be made about what was important and what wasn't...  And solutions to be found.

This morning when I made biscuits, eggs, and bacon for my family, I realized that I'm used to this new kitchen now. 

Here are some of the ways I've adjusted:

1.  Our coffee maker and our nespresso machine sit on the sideboard in our dining room.  It's close to the kitchen, but not in the kitchen.

2.  The coffee bean ceramic container and grinder sit on one counter in the corner because I have to clean up after the coffee bean dust and I want that in the kitchen.  At the other end of that counter section sits my vita mix blender base and toaster.  We switched from a toaster oven to toaster because it takes up less room.  The blender canister stays inside a cupboard. 

3.  There's a tiny piece of counter between the refrigerator and pantry closet.  I placed the knife block there.  It made use of the space!

4.  Next to my stove, I put a small round lazy susan with my cooking essentials:  Salt, Pepper, Toothpicks, cooking spray, olive oil, and honey.  These are all things I need to grab as I'm cooking and it saves time having them right there.

5.  In the corner of the L sits my Kitchenaid.  I remember that my grandmother and aunt stored their Kitchenaid mixers away when I was a kid, but it's so heavy for me to lift.  But, I can easily move it in and out of the corner by just pulling it forward to use.  Next to the mixer sits a stainless steel canister with the basic tools I need while cooking: a flat whisk, a round nonstick whisk, a metal spatula, a thin metal cookie turner, a thin plastic turner (for eggs), a thicker plastic turner, 2 rubber spatulas, a metal turner, a slotted plastic spoon, and a wooden paddle.  I'm careful about not adding to this container and making it too crowded.  If I put too much in, it makes getting things out quickly frustrating to me.  Behind it, I have a plastic chopping board leaned up against the backsplash.  We have granite countertops and chopping boards like to slip on it; so I used a hot glue gun to put a small dollop of glue in each corner of the board and now it doesn't slip!

6.  Other than those items, the only other thing I keep on the counter is a container of liquid soap. 

7.  One of the puzzles I faced when we moved in was what to do with our dirty dishes and clean dishes that I had handwashed, but that needed to dry.  My solution for the dirty dishes has been to put as much as I possible can in the dishwasher.  Anything that can't be put in the dishwasher gets cleaned as I cook (within reason).  We have a bar countertop which I make the most of.  I found two silicone drying mats at Aldi that I placed on top of the bar.  That's where I put dishes to dry--up off the countertop I use and out of the way, but still close at hand. 

8.  The other things I put on the bar countertop section are a double metal basket with fruit and onions and a rectangular basket that I keep bread and rolls in.  I tried to store bread in the pantry, but it molded too fast because of the climate we live in.  Keeping it on the countertop keeps it close to my mind and reminds me to use it!  The only other thing on that counter is our betta fish.  I enjoy looking up from the sink and seeing Spartacus II, the fish, every time I look up! 

When I garage sale, I'm always looking for baskets, things I can use to help organize my family more!  I just found the basket that sits on my kitchen counter last weekend.  The loaves of bread had been sitting loose on the counter before that in disarray.  Somehow baskets and containers make everything feel more organized and clean!  Baskets show my family where things belong, where to put them back after they use them!

I've learned a lot from cooking in this kitchen and my cooking has changed.  Elaborate meals are more daunting, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  Making simpler meals means that I am generally less rushed and that I can enjoy cooking a little more.  I'm learning bit by bit how to make the most of whatever space I'm cooking in!   


No comments:

Post a Comment