Monday, January 22, 2018

House Repairs

We moved into a new home in a new state about a month ago.  I have been consumed with unpacking, settling, and getting what we need for our new home. 

Yesterday, I finally began to work on what needs to be done to the house.  We tried to buy a house that didn't need anything besides new paint, but that wasn't to be...

When we first moved in, my husband fixed the water tubing on the refrigerator and I found glass in the dishwasher which I was thankfully able to get out!

Last week, the microwave wouldn't stop running, which meant a call on the home warranty.  It got fixed, but then kept running again two days later.  So, another call needed to be made and the appliance repairman is coming this week. 

At the same time, another call needed to be made because seven light switches in the house don't work properly.  So, the electrician is also coming this week. 

In the past, we've owned older homes that needed a lot of work--big projects.  We hope that this house will not be quite that bad!  So far we have small projects, but they have surprised me. 

The biggest one so far is the tape on all of the bathroom and laundry room cabinets.  Instead of fixing the doors on all of the cabinets, the previous owner put transparent tape on all of the doors when the white covering on the doors began to separate from the mdf boards.  So, today I pulled all of the tape off of the cabinets and then cleaned off the remaining adhesive with a damp rag and baking soda.  Then,  I used Loctite Crazy glue for the difficult spots and this glue below by Scotch for the remainder of the gluing.  To insert the glue in between the gap in the boards and the white vinyl outside, I used a stainless steel nail file with a point.  I dipped it in the glue bottle, then put in the gap.  I repeated this over and over! 
We weren't present at the home inspection and somehow our realtor and home inspector missed that the previous owner had done this on all of the cabinets except for the kitchen cabinets. 

Thankfully, this glue worked really well when I inserted it using the file.  We are not planning on replacing the cabinet doors! 

Another small project I did was to touch up the stain on the inside panels of the kitchen doors on the outside.  I used this stain 
I had both the oak and mahogany colors.  I put a small bit on a rag and rubbed it over the surface of the panels.  They looked so much better instantly!  I'm thankful this project was easier and faster than the first! 

Home ownership is an interesting thing.  I'm starting to realize that there is always something that can be revitalized! 

No comments:

Post a Comment