Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Beating Egg Whites

Update: 12/18/22
I need to change this post a little.  Accidentally after I made this post, I only put in half the sugar!  I typically double the recipe below, but then forgot and only put in half the sugar.  My family loved them so much more!!  Now, I double all ingredients of the cookies, but only put in 2/3 cup of sugar.  They are not so super sweet and everyone enjoys them so much more!

...

I have struggled over the years to beat egg whites with my kitchen aid mixer.  It would take around 30 minutes.  The bowl was too large for a few egg whites.  I thought about buying the small bowl insert and special beater a few years ago, but as I read reviews, I noticed that there were a lot of complaints.  I was uneasy about making the $60 investment if I was still going to be frustrated when I attempted to beat egg whites the next time. 

So, instead I bought a hand mixer with a whisk attachment for only $25.  The first time I used it I was so excited!  I was able to beat two egg whites until they were stiff in only a few minutes! 

The main reason I wanted to be able to beat egg whites was so that I could make meringue cookies.  These are a cookie I grew up with and they are a naturally gluten free, lactose free cookie.

Here's my mom's recipe:

Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Beat egg whites till frothy.  (On my hand mixer, this is on speed 1 or 2.)
Add salt and cream of tartar.  Beat until stiff, but not dry.  (I up the speed on my mixer to 3 or 4 for this step.)
Add sugar, 2 Tbsp at a time.  Beat thoroughly after each addition. 
Fold in chocolate and vanilla with a spatula.
Drop from a teaspoon onto a brown paper bag or parchment paper.
Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes.  They will lightly brown on top.
Let sit for a few minutes before eating. 

They are crumbly so you can't put more than one layer in a storage container.  This recipe made about 18 cookies.

If you make them, I hope you enjoy them!  I can only eat one at a sitting because they're so sweet, but they are one of my family's favorites!


No comments:

Post a Comment