Tuesday, July 24, 2012

How to get through a book

I've had a lot of people over the years ask me how I read books so quickly.  I think I must be a fast reader.  I also know that I'm good at skimming and figuring out what I need to read in a book and don't.  But, the pace of my reading has slowed down a lot lately!  I've actually been doing very little outside the college class I'm working on (for the renewal of my teaching credential).  But, there are two books I've been really wanting to read!  North and South and Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell are two of my favorite miniseries.  I've wanted to read them, but can't seem to find the time right now.  I was googling today and found this site:  http://dailylit.com/books/wives-and-daughters/1.  You can read a book via email bit by bit--enough, but not too much to read in a day.  I have to admit though that I don't know if I would be able to read a suspenseful story this way!  I'd be waiting and waiting and waiting for the next day to come!  I fear I'd probably just end up buying the book anyways.


But, if there's a book you've always wanted to read and can't seem to get through, Dailylit might be a way to do it.  I believe most of their books are free, but I'm not sure if all are.


As a side note, if you do have an Amazon Prime Membership, I have a few favorite miniseries that are available free with Amazon Prime for streaming:
Under the Greenwood Tree
Wives and Daughters
North and South
Downton Abbey
Bleak House (not as much a favorite of mine, but it is good)
Cadfael
Foyle's War (not literary)

No comments:

Post a Comment