Saturday, August 11, 2012

It may be free, but...

Every once in a while, I'll get a coupon book for McDonald's in the mail.  I'll save it in case we're out and I can use one of the $1 coupons or free drink coupons.  But, sometimes what is free isn't necessarily good for us.  

A few weeks ago, a friend shared with me how much she likes McDonald's Sweet Tea.  I agreed with her.  I like it, but it's almost too sweet.  I found out why in the next minute.  She said she and her husband had calculated how much sugar was in a drink--1/2 cup.  1/2 cup!!  Ay Ay Ay!  I shrank inside.  Ew.

So, yesterday, my girls and I were out.  My daughter has been dealing with a cold sore/skin infection this week on her lip and I felt so bad for her.  I was trying to figure out something nice to do for her.  I considered going to McDonald's.  There was a coupon for sweet tea and I had some coupons for the kids for ice cream.  I thought of the sweet tea and it made me cringe.  So, I decided instead to go to the library and let Autumn pick out a video to watch.  

I realized that although it would taste good in the moment, I would be drinking 1/2 cup of sugar!  It would have been free, but not very good for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment