Saturday, August 1, 2015

Beans and Rice, My family's style...

Yesterday, my girls had some friends over for a book group discussion and us moms got to talk.  We talked about cooking for a little bit and one of the moms mentioned cooking by looking in the fridge and deciding what to cook based on what was in her fridge.  I took a cue from her last night and went downstairs to my freezer.  What I had planned for dinner wasn't going to work, so I needed a new plan.  I saw some sausage on the top shelf and remembered my husband saying a few days before that he loved beans and rice.  So, I thought I'd try my hand at a makeshift version.  My kids don't like spicy things, so 


Rice and Beans, My family's style

1 -15 oz. Can black beans, rinsed 
1 -28 oz. Can baked beans, rinsed 
1 small onion, chopped in small pieces 
1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped 
3 cloves garlic, minced 
2 stalks celery, chopped finely 
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp dried sage 
1 handful fresh parsley, chopped 
1 pound Italian sausage
1 tsp. seasoning mix...
                 the seasoning recipe: ¾ tsp paprika
                                              ½ tsp garlic powder
                                              ½ tsp black pepper
                                              ¼ tsp thyme
                                              ¼ tsp ancho chile powder
                                              ¼ tsp onion powder
                                              ¼ tsp oregano
                                              1/8 tsp salt
                                              1/8 tsp ground mustard powder

Directions:

  1. Brown and cook sausage through. Then, cut into half length wise and then slice each half. Place in a bowl and set aside.

  1. Saute onion, bell pepper, garlic, and celery in 2 Tbsp olive oil for 3-4 minutes until softened.

  1. Rinse beans and add to onion mixture. Add spices and parsley. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.

  1. Add sausage to mixture and warm through. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Serve over rice. My kids like to sprinkle it with a little soy sauce.  My husband liked it even without adding any heat (cayenne pepper) which was quite surprising to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment