Friday, August 12, 2016

Cold Brew: The New Expensive Coffee

Cold Brew is everywhere these days--it's even at Dunkin' Donuts!

I have friends who like the Pioneer Woman's Recipe, but a few months ago, I had a coupon and bought a coffee sock for my husband when it was on sale.  Here's what I've found...

I use 2 cups of beans (which equals 2 cups of grounds) for 6 cups of water.  

Most people I know use the Pioneer Woman's method, so I did try it, but it didn't work or me.  It was a bit of a big mess when I tried to strain the coffee afterwards.  

So, I have one of these.  It's much neater to use.  I did notice on Amazon that now there are also kits with a stainless steel mesh insert which would I think would be very nice.  

The downside of the Pioneer Woman's recipe is that you have to use cheesecloth to strain it.  I found that the cheapest cheesecloth I can find is the basic package at Target. I use cheesecloth to make Lebnah, a middle eastern cheese, but I don't like to regularly use things that can't be used more than once.  

I do follow the coffee sock's directions.  Place the sock in the jar with the coffee grounds in it.  Then, I wet the coffee with a little of the water and let it sit a minute or two.  Then, I pour the rest of the water through.  I put it in the fridge for 24 hours before I take out the filter.  My sister law's use the method of letting it sit on the counter for 8 hours, but I get nervous about bacteria...  so, I put it in the fridge. :)

I really like making cold brew at home because I can make half-caf.  My coffee is a blend of World Market's whole bean Terrazu or Island Blend and their decaf whole bean Italian Roast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment