Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Eating out on the go

Yesterday, the kids and I had a lot to do.  I often find myself in this situation.  What do I do?  Should I push them to wait to eat till we get home?  Or do I grab something on the way?  This question for me involves two things for me--money and healthy food.

Here are a few of the things I do if I'm out and can't get home.
McDonald's:  Split 2 $1 chicken sandwiches, some fries, and cups of water among the kids.  Cost: $4
Burger King:  $1 chicken nuggets and a small fries split, with cups of water. Cost: $4
Target:  Pick up cups of Yoplait as a snack and get spoons from the snack area.  My girls think this is a big treat and it's a cheap one to tide them over.  Yesterday, I also picked up juice boxes at the same time that they could drink in the car.  The snack for the three of them cost $2.50.

But, the tricky part is that everything else I've found is pretty expensive.  One day two weeks ago, we went to the grocery store, we bought sandwich makings, juice boxes, and bananas.  When all was said and done, I think it cost about $6 or $7.  Not too bad and at least they didn't eat McD's.

Do you have any good ideas for inexpensive meals/snacks that you can grab on the go?

No comments:

Post a Comment