Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Paring Knives

Kuhn Rikon Knife Set
My paring knives were dying so I finally threw them several of them away.  All I had left were 2 Kuhn Rikon knives with the sleeves that I bought 2 or 3 months ago at BJs for $10.  One is serrated and the other is a regular blade.  With this recent purge of my knives, I knew I needed to replace them.  I lean on my paring knives for most things.  I can throw them in the dishwasher, which I can't do with my nice set of knives.  They are decent at cutting.  They aren't as good as a $30 Henkel, but definitely as good as the inexpensive Forschner or Henkel paring knife set that Target carries (which has several impractical knives)  I've had them for a few months now and they're just as sharp as they started out.

So, here's the comparison shopping for them:
Amazon $8.96 per paring knife, $12 for the serrated one, or $24.36 for the set of 2 that I bought at BJ's
Kitchen and Co., a local store: $15 for the set
BJ's:  Still $10 for the pair.  The current set is pink and purple though instead of the former yellow and green set that I bought.  My girls were thrilled with the colors!

I bought a set at Kitchen and Co. and was thankful the price was less than on Amazon.  And today I bought another set at BJ's.  Sometimes I really go through knives--especially if my husband is cooking with me.

What I actually like most about these knives is that they come with a handy sleeve to go over the blade.  A few months ago, my youngest started opening up the knife drawer!  EEK!  I was scared, so I moved the knives to a basket on a shelf.  The new problem?  Me reaching into the basket with open blades!  So, knives with covers has been a great solution to saving my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment