Friday, November 25, 2011

Sweet and Sour Sauce and Egg Rolls

A while back a friend of mine asked for this recipe and it slipped my mind!  I like to make egg rolls once in a while.  I get the egg roll wrappers from the produce section and make a vegetable filling.  Sometimes I add tofu or shredded chicken to the vegetable filling.


Egg Rolls
I will chop a mixture of some of these vegetables:
green cabbage
carrots
mushrooms
green onions (to taste)
snow peas
tofu


I stir fry the mixture and then add this mixture:
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 3 Tbsp. water
Heat the mixture.


When it's done, you can add in the shredded cooked chicken and/or some bean sprouts.  I used to add water chestnuts or bamboo shoots, but the last few times I've bought them they tasted funny from the can.  


Put about 1-2 Tbsp. filling in the center of the paper and roll.  I follow the directions on the package.  My mom likes to fry them in canola oil on the stove.  I have to admit this is the yummiest way to eat them.  But, if you still want egg rolls and can't handle the oil, I often bake them.  Put them on a cookie sheet with parchment and bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes till they're crispy.


Here's the Sweet and Sour Sauce my mom and I've always made to go with them:


Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. ketchup
2 Tbsp. sherry cooking wine or apple juice
Place in a heavy saucepan.  Bring to a boil then add cornstarch mixture:
2 Tbsp. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup water
Heat and stir until sauce is thickened.


I like these much better than at restaurants, because I get to choose the filling I want.  I also don't like the filling to be too finely chopped.  I discovered that it is important that the filling is chopped into small pieces, but I don't want it to be mushy!


If you try them, I hope you like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment