Thursday, October 11, 2012

The consequences of having kids

I was thinking of some other title, but that one sounded the best for the moment.  I had 3 kids and gained 40-45 lbs with each pregnancy.  I exercised after each one, but there was a consequence of having 3 kids for me.  It was my stomach.  I hate ab exercises.  I can get myself to walk and do walkerobics, but not do ab exercises.  

This week, I finally found something I'm willing to do--and that will fit in my schedule (which feels so busy right now).  For me, that's the key to exercise.  It has to be something I'm willing to do.  And honestly, I hate pain!  Part of what I'm doing is PE with my kids.  A few weeks ago, I felt the Lord bring PE to my attention. I needed to make it a daily part of our lives in a way that it hasn't been before.  We started running around our house each day and stretching.  But, running won't fix my stomach.  

So, here's what I'm doing.  My husband hung his pull up bar on a door frame on Sunday.  I am doing 5 leg lifts (just to waist height) 2-3 times a day.  It takes me a few seconds (which is all I have).  I'm also doing 2 plank exercises 2-3 times a day. (also just a minute)

Exercise #1: Dolphin Plank
http://pilates.about.com/od/pilatesroutines/ss/Tip-To-Toe-Pilates-Workout-With-10-Beginner-Exercises_9.htm
I hold this for 20 seconds.

Exercise #2: Plank with Arm Lift
This plank I don't go down onto my forearms for.  I do a push up position, and then lift one arm back to my side for 2 breaths. Then, I repeat it on the other side.  I do this 2-3 times.

There are many variations of the plank exercises, but I can feel the effects of these two and I'm thankful for that.  I probably will add other variations over time.  

I think the biggest thing I've found with exercising is that I have to want to do it!  These exercises are doable for me, so I'm thankful.



No comments:

Post a Comment