Thursday, February 14, 2013

More Spelling Notes

A friend of mine was over today and we were talking about spelling.  I showed her my girls' notebooks and I explained a few details that I missed in my last post.

When I started using Spelling Power two years ago, I did read the 96--96!! pages of small type instructions before we began.  There were a few things that I have really appreciated that the author instructs teachers to do.

1) As you're giving the pretest, correct the word right after it is misspelled.  Dictate to a child how to correctly spell the word.  Don't correct it yourself afterwards (common public classroom procedure).

2) Have students practice the words they miss on the pretest.  Students don't have to copy all 10 words multiple times when they can spell them correctly.  On Tuesday and Thursday, my children will practice the words they miss.  On Wednesday in our routine, I plan on my children putting all 10 words in alphabetical order and sorting them.  

3) This plan addresses auditory, visual, and kinesthetic learners.  For kinesthetic learners, I would specifically make a hands-on list of activities for Thursday's spelling.

Happy Spelling!

PS Sami has been so glad to go back to Spelling Power this week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment