Monday, June 17, 2013

Homemade Muffin-Doughnuts

Last week, most of my family was sick--2 kids and one husband--all sick.  One little boy and me stayed well.  So, one morning I tried a new recipe. They were wonderful!  They tasted just like homemade cinnamon sugar cake doughnuts, except that they looked like muffins!

The recipe I used called for a mini-muffin tin, but I don't have one.   So, I set about changing the recipe I found and this is the recipe I ended up with...

Homemade Muffin-Doughnuts
Makes 24 muffins

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/4 teaspoon baking soda 
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp. flour 
1 cup whole wheat flour-- or simply add 1 more cup of white flour
3/4 teaspoons salt

1 cup butter, melted 
1 1/3 cup milk
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla 

Preheat oven to 425. Combine melted butter and milk in mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well. Add all dry ingredients. Stir until batter is just combined with no lumps. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray--don't use cupcake papers.  Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Depending on your oven, test them at 12 or 13 minutes to see if a toothpick comes out clean.  From there, add 2 or 3 minutes at a time until the muffins are golden and the toothpick comes out clean.

Let the muffins cool.  This is a must!!  Melt some butter in a small dish.  Mix 1/2 cup sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a plastic bag. After muffins have cooled, take them out of the pan. Then, brush them with butter and put them in a bag with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Move the muffin gently in the bag to coat the muffin well.  Repeat with each muffin individually.  Don't coat more than one at a time.  

My husband and I were surprised at how good these muffins were!  As close to homemade doughnuts as I've ever gotten.  I'm going to use this technique with other muffins perhaps.  Brushing them with butter and then tossing with cinnamon sugar.  I suspect it would also work with powdered sugar!

This will definitely be added to our muffin and breakfast treat choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment