Monday, December 30, 2013

Adding spice to our diet

I realized that our family menu had gotten very repetitive of late, so I tried two new recipes this weekend.  One was America's Test Kitchen's Skillet Tamale Pie.  It has a great flavor!  I found the recipe online HERE.  I didn't use the topping from this recipe.  I actually used the corn muffin recipe from ATK Family Cookbook Here.  The only issue I had was that I didn't halve the cornbread.  It was too much.  I probably would even make a third next time as the topping to make the ratio better.  It was really good. 

The second recipe I made was Chicken Tikka Masala, but I couldn't find the exact recipe that I used online.  It was from America's Test Kitchen's Quick Family Cookbook.  I have to be honest, this cookbook has sat on my shelf for a while.  I have the ATK's Family Cookbook, Healthy Family Cookbook, and the Quick Family Cookbook.  This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe was unusual, but so good!  My family all thought it was as good as what we ate last time at the nearby Indian restaurant.  

So, if you have this cookbook, here's the changes I'd suggest for this recipe...  only use 1/8 tsp cayenne and mix the spices into the yogurt before coating the chicken.  Don't rub the chicken with the spices and then in the yogurt.  Definitely pound the chicken thin and then slice into pieces.  Also, add 1/4 cup chopped raisins to the sauce.  My husband loves it spicy, so he added cayenne to his dish when it was served on his plate.  But, my kids and me... well we need mild food.  So, this dish worked well for us!  

Tonight I made a Chicken broccoli stirfry for dinner.  I used the Asian Wing sauce (with half the honey) as my teriyaki sauce from the ATK Family Cookbook.  These really are my go to cookbooks.  

It's felt good the past few days making something completely new.  It's something I want to keep up this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment