Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Stay Away From DELL...

Over the past two weeks, I've been navigating a computer purchase I tried to make online.  My husband and I thought it would be easier to purchase a DELL computer directly from Dell.com instead of heading off to Best Buy or Staples.

We were totally wrong.

This is what we learned: 

#1  Don't ever order through Dell's website.

#2  I would never purchase a Dell computer again.  Unless the warranty is dealt through someone other than Dell (ie. Costco or Best Buy).

So, here's what happened.  I tried to order a computer.  I was given an estimated arrival date a week and a half later.  A few days later, I got an email asking me to make a phone call and for additional information.  It didn't make sense to me and I'm very cautious about information gathering emails.  Why would Dell need any more information?  I didn't know.  So, I went to the Dell website and called customer service.

And I sat on hold.

When I finally talked to someone, they told me I needed to call another number to confirm information.

I called.

And sat on hold.

The lady asked for information and I asked, "Why?"

I got an email the next day saying the computer shipped.

Hmmm....

Yesterday, I called again (after sitting on hold) because I received another email asking for information.

No!

I checked the tracking and it was slated to be delivered... today.  I called yesterday (and sat on hold multiple times) and asked the Dell customer service if the computer was going to be delivered and what the issue was.  They said it was conflicting information.  Really?  I knew what I'd put in because it was on the receipt.  Somewhere in their system things had gotten messed up.  I was told the computer was coming back to them and would not be delivered.  I requested a refund and a cancelling of the sale.  I thought it was done.  My husband went out and bought another computer last night.  We both thought it was all done.

Nope.  

The computer arrived today.  So, we're stuck.  I requested a return, but at this point I'm afraid to send it back.  I don't know that they will return our money to us.  So, I think we're stuck with this computer.  

More and more my husband are coming to believe that it's wiser to make purchases in person in a store than online.

No comments:

Post a Comment