Sunday, June 1, 2014

Thoughts on HGTV

It's very interesting to me that HGTV shows and others in that "home improvement" genre have been super popular in the last few years.  These shows make everything look so... so... well, doable!  

But, are they really??

We don't have cable television, so I don't watch a lot of shows on HGTV, but it is always on at the doctor's office where I had my lasik surgery done.  So, before one of my pre-op appointments I had the opportunity to watch one of the shows in which a man and woman team up to help a couple do some updates that will essentially redecorate their home and sell it.  

I watched as they recommended repainting the living room and removing some very obnoxious plaster sculptures that were permanently adhered to the walls (which had been there when they purchased the home).  Then, I watched as the woman brought the wife out on the patio to refinish a table with a dark stain.  
This was where the show and me did not see eye to eye and where the light bulb went on in my head.  

When I've watched these shows in the past, I've always known that the shows want you to buy into the story they're telling you.  I have no idea how much truth is actually in the stories.  But, on this particular day, there was a big glaring problem with the story the show was telling.

The wife, who was helping stain the table was in a black shirt--and perfectly white shorts... he he he.  Who stains anything in good clothes?  NO ONE!  Who stains something without getting something on them?  Almost no one.  Who would ever, ever stain something with white shorts on?  NO ONE!  

At this point in the show, I just burst out laughing.  I pointed out the problem with the show and she completely agreed with me.  

I don't think I'll ever look at these shows the same way again.  

Are many of the projects doable?  Yes.  I've done a lot of the remodeling I often see on these shows.  Does it always come out as perfectly as it does on the shows?  Of course not!  

Why am I even writing all of this down?  

Because this show reminded me to have realistic expectations of myself and projects that I tackle.  I know things may not come out perfectly the first time.  I know I may have to start over.  But, that's okay.  Because unlike the shows where everything looks easy to do and perfect the first try, life doesn't really work that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment