Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Diner Pancakes

Last week, my husband and I went out to breakfast.  He enjoyed the pancakes and we talked about what makes for good diner pancakes.  I resolved this weekend to try a new recipe and get closer...

I found a recipe online that modified the recipe I've been using for a few years and then I modified how I mixed them up and made them.  Here's the recipe with my directions.

Diner Buttermilk Pancakes

3 Tbsp melted butter (salted or unsalted--your preference)
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs

Place all wet ingredients in the bottom of your blender.

Then, add:
1/4 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt (which is equivalent to 1/4 tsp. table salt)

Blend, pausing to scrape down the sides until all is a smooth mix.

Let batter sit for 8-10 minutes so that it will start to thicken a little.  At the same time, let a cast iron skillet start heating over medium heat on your stove.  When you're ready, use cooking spray each time you cook a new set of pancakes to give them the diner "look".  If you don't care,  they will cook on a cast iron skillet without needing cooking spray every time.  Once you've poured the batter on the skillet, wait until you see bubbles throughout the pancake on top and then flip.  If there aren't any bubbles in the middle (and are only around the edges), wait--otherwise, you'll end up with a mess.  Once you've flipped them, give the pancake another minute or two and then check :)

Voila!  Yummy pancakes.

My family was very happy with this recipe and I was, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment