Monday, August 15, 2011

Buzzzzzz Bars

I went to college in Oregon.  The little coffee shop on campus made these super yummy bars called "Buzz Bars".  Before I left college, I somehow got a copy of the recipe even though I didn't work there.  Here it is:


For a 9x13 pan:


Cream 2/3 cup butter with 2/3 cup brown sugar.  Cream well.
Mix in 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk.  
Mix in 2 2/3 cup rolled oats.
Mix in 3/8 cup light corn syrup.


Spread in a 9x13 sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes (I did 18 minutes.)
The "crust" will be a little runny, but put immediately into fridge and let cool completely.


Melt 2/3 cup Skippy Natural peanut butter to spreadable consistency in a pyrex measuring cup.  I microwaved it for a minute.  Spread over the base and cool in the fridge.


Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 minute.  Don't overcook the chocolate chips or they'll harden up.  Stir for a minute or two.  If you need a little more time and the lumps aren't all getting out, microwave for 15 seconds more.  When all the lumps are out, pour over the peanut butter and spread with a spatula.  When cool, cut and eat them!


Today, I made a bigger pan.  I have a half size bun pan (half of the commercial size cookie sheet). It has a low lip, so it works really well for this bar.  At the cafe, they used full size bun pans to make them.  


If you make the larger pan (18 x 13)like this one that I bought at the webstaurant store online, here are the measurements you'll need:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
4 cups uncooked rolled oats
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
1 1/3 cups chocolate chips


If you try them, I hope they turn out well for you!  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I've missed these ever since I graduated. I don't know what it is, but there's something special about this Bistro classic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but... did you get a bars bar recipe?! :D

    ReplyDelete