Monday, August 8, 2011

What can you do when your hands burn?

Yesterday, we were at a church picnic with friends and the topic of jalapenos came up.  What do you do when you've cut a jalapeno and your hands burn?


One of my friends said she'd looked online and found that if nothing works to take 2 benadryl and go to bed--sleep it off.  I've done the same recently to cope at times with my outbreaks of hives.


Jalapenos and other peppers can really be a doozy.  For me, plants can have the same effect on me.  I have contact dermatitis so my skin is particularly sensitive.  I have found something that works for me.  


My dermatologist several years ago recommended cleaning my hands with Cetaphil.  I found that Target carries a generic.  When I have touched anything--a jalapeno, a plant, crabs with tons of Old Bay on them, I wash my hands as soon as I'm able to with Cetaphil.  It has worked wonderfully for me.  If I forget, as I did once last week, and just use regular soap I end up with burning or itchy hands.  So, I really try to remember to use it.  Honestly, I've been surprised at how well it works.  When I bought the generic at Target about 2 years ago, the bottle I bought cost about $3.50.  It may cost about $4 or $5 now, but it will last you quite a long time.  I get my hands wet, put a quarter size amount in the palm of my hand and rub it all over for a minute or two and then rinse my hands.



So, if you're in the same predicament I am--try the generic Cetaphil.  


I do also try to use gloves as much as possible.  I wash my dishes with the pink lady gloves from Casabella.  I save my coupons for Bed Bath and Beyond and buy a few pairs at a time.  A friend recommended these to me about 5 years ago and they've been a lifesaver for my dishwashing!  They do unfortunately have latex in them so if you are allergic to latex, as several friends of mine are, they won't work for you.  But, if you aren't, they are great.  I find that one pair lasts me several months.  They're about $5 or $6 a pair at BB&B.


If you know any other good solutions for burning or itching hands, I'd love to hear what you've found works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment