Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Corned Beef Hash

For St. Patrick's Day, I fixed corned beef in the crock pot, roasted potatoes with rosemary and olive oil, and steamed cabbage.  One of my husband's favorite meals after St. Pat's is a breakfast of corned beef hash.  I looked up some recipes online and this is what I ended up fixing:

Corned Beef Hash
Saute 1/2 small onion, minced with 2 Tbsp. of butter.  Add 2 cloves of garlic (sliced or minced) and 1/2 red bell pepper chopped.  Chop 1 1/2 cups roasted potatoes into pieces the size of a fingertip.  Add potatoes and 1/2-3/4 cup chopped corned beef hash.  Saute until well mixed and softened.  Sprinkle with pepper.  
No need to add salt.

The rosemary from the potatoes flavors it nicely.

Other recipes for hash call for adding beef broth, but my husband prefers it this way.  Chopped and softened, but not mushy.

One last note...  A friend lent us the a cookbook about how to use knives.  I learned a helpful tip from it that I hadn't known.  GARLIC  When it comes to chopping fresh garlic, peel the clove off the bulb.  Then, slice through the outer wrapping and slice the clove in half lengthwise.  You can pull out the germ if it has grown if you wish.  The germ is supposed to make it more bitter if it has grown.  The outer casing will peel off very easily now.  Slice and mince the clove of garlic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment