Wednesday, September 25, 2013

One more reason to be cautious about processed foods...

I don't purchase a lot of processed foods.  But, when I do, I always look at the ingredients.  I pay particularly close attention to the sweeteners included.  I try to avoid high fructose corn syrup.  One sweetener that I've always thought was safe is honey.  But, then I read this article... see article HERE.

It was interesting.  The article is about an enormous fraud perpetrated by a honey importer.  What the article made me realize is that companies could "doctor" honey with chemicals and such.  Honey isn't as simple an ingredient as I thought.  

The article also made me think twice about being willing to pay a higher price for local honey.  Honey that comes from folks I know and trust.  I'm definitely going to be working it into our food budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment