Monday, January 11, 2010

Yummy Enchiladas

I haven't made enchiladas in several years. I couldn't find an easy recipe for sauce and all the sauces in the markets have MSG, so I just didn't feel I had a good option. But, on Friday night I made America's Test Kitchen's recipe for Fast Enchilada Sauce. This is a link to the recipe someone posted on their website: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2008/03/essentials-easy-enchiladas-recipe.html I did make 1 big change to the recipe. I cut the Chili powder in half. If you like it really hot, go with 3 Tbsp., but I have 3 little kids, so I cut it in half to 1 1/2 Tbsp-2 Tbsp and it was much better (I used 2 and it was still a little warm, so 1 1/2 might have been better). When it was done, rather than straining out the onion to make it a smooth sauce, I threw it in the blender. This thickened it and I actually didn't have to cook it a whole 5 minutes because of it.

For my filling, I sauteed 1 lb. ground beef with 1 minced onion and 1 chopped red bell pepper. When it was done, I threw in two large handfuls of cheddar cheese.

I poured the sauce in my 8x8 pyrex and used that as my dipping dish. I dipped one tortilla, turned it over and then put some filling in the middle and rolled them. I placed it in a 9 x 13 pyrex that had been coated in cooking spray and then spread with a little sauce on the bottom. When I'd filled the pan, I sprinkled cheddar cheese over top.

(I much prefer pyrex for dishes like this to metal baking pans, because it's okay to scrub them when you're done using them.)

I baked them for 30 minutes at 400 and they were yummy! Yay! We can have enchiladas again!

No comments:

Post a Comment