Friday, January 29, 2010

Orange Chicken...with a little tweaking

Last night, I made Orange Chicken using a recipe that was published in the Baltimore Sun twice this year. I'm attaching a link to the recipe...
The recipe is a good idea, but here's my alterations (I do wonder if I've ever made a recipe just the way it was written =) )...
1) Every recipe that tells you two put 2 Tbsp of oil in the bottom of the pan and fry it is going to drive you crazy! At least it does me. It's really an idea that people have when they're trying to cut calories, but then the recipe doesn't come out because all the coating sticks to the bottom and I end up wanting to throw out the food and the pan! =) So, back to this recipe. Put about 2 Tbsp of oil--no, just kidding--Put 1" of oil in the bottom of a pan and heat it to cook the chicken in.
2) Put the egg whites and cornstarch in a blender rather than a food processor and if you don't have xtra large egg whites, use 3 lg egg whites instead =)
3) Why don't recipes put in enough sauce =) ? I know it's another way to cut calories. So, my recommendation is to double the sauce.
4) Omit the red pepper flakes if you're making this recipe for kids. If it's for adults, just put a couple if you're a mild person or a few more if you like it spicy.

The coating really is a good one and the sauce is good =) there just needs to be more if you don't want it to turn out dry. It is a good recipe, it's just better with a little tweaking!

PS I bought the Asparagus to try my first recipe from Essentials of Cooking and then my kids got sick with the stomach flu--actually, I think pneumonia was first a few weeks ago and then the pneumonia last week. So, the Asparagus went bad. Maybe I'll try it again in the summer when it's in season =)

No comments:

Post a Comment