Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chicken Divan

I have a different way of fixing Chicken Divan...
First, I make a recipe of Mixed-Up Grains by Mollie Katzen...
http://www.publix.com/wellness/notes/Display.do?id=Recipe&childId=HYPN2_000011 (I don't have rye berries, so I just substitute wheat berries in their place. And I don't add the cashews, but I do add butter and minced red onion if I'm eating the Mixed Grains by themselves. I omit the onion and butter when I'm making them for Chicken Divan.

I spray a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan with cooking spray and spread a layer of the grains in the bottom of the pan.

Then I chop and steam a large head of broccoli. When it's done, I layer it on top of the grains.

I chop 2-3 chicken breast into 1-2 inch cubes and cook them in a bit of oil and butter in a saute pan until they are cooked through. Then, I layer them on top of the broccoli and grains.

I take the cheese sauce from my chicken divan recipe that I grew up with and then pour it over top.

Finally, I crush some Ritz crackers (if I have them) over top of the casserole and bake it at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so depending on how quickly I've gotten everything layered and how warm everything is.

It turns out really well. The grains in the bottom give the Chicken Divan a lot more texture and variety than making it with normal white rice. I think it's probably a lot more nutritious too! =)

PS If you don't have wheat berries on hand (I think you only would if you grind your grain), I believe Whole Foods carries them in bulk and I'm sure Wegman's probably has them. I get mine from an Amish market in PA. I've found Barley cheapest at Food Lion in the Mexican Food Section of the market or with the dried beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment