Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Refried Beans and Bean Flautas

I use a version of the recipe for Craig's Refried Beans in the Cabbagetown Cafe Cookbook. It's out of print and my recipe is different enough that I feel comfortable posting it here =)

Saute 1 chopped onion and 1 sliced green or red bell pepper in 1-2 Tbsp. of canola oil.
After about 5 minutes, add 1 tsp. minced garlic an saute about 30 seconds to a minute.
Then add 1 Tbsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. dill
1/2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
A pinch of pepper (to taste--you can add up to 1/4 tsp.)
Add 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed.
Mix well. Then throw all of it in a food processor or a Vita-Mix. I don't think I'd use a regular blender because I think it's too hard on it. The food processor really does the best job on it.
When they are as smooth as you want them, add them back to your saute pan and turn the heat to med. low add 2-3 Tbsp. of butter (optional, really this is up to you). Let the butter melt and then stir it in until it is all mixed thoroughly.

I got very frustrated with canned refried beans because of the hydrogenated fats a lot of brands put in them, so I've gotten in the habit of making these.

Bean Flautas...
I'll be honest, my husband and I love tacos, but my kids aren't so crazy about them. We do have them every week, though. Autumn and Eli will eat them, but not Sami. But, then again, there's a lot of things she won't eat.

So, last night, I took the refried beans and shredded cheddar cheese and spread a little (2-3 Tbsp. down the middle of a small tortilla. Then I rolled the tortillas up and put a toothpick in to hold them closed. I placed them in a pyrex 8x8 or 9x13 pan. Then, I brushed them lightly with butter on top and then put them in the oven. I baked them for 15-20 minutes at 425 degrees. Eli and Autumn liked them much better and Sami was able to eat half of a half (which is more than the none that she usually eats of her taco =) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment