Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Easy Chai from scratch

I was reviewing a cookbook this week on microwave cooking.  In the cookbook was a recipe called Chai for One. I googled it to see if I could find it online.  I did, or at least one very similar.
Here's the recipe link:  http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/drink_chai.html
The spices in the recipe in the cookbook were halved.  So, I would start with them halved and then try them doubled and see which you like better.  The cookbook also used evaporated milk instead of sweetened condensed.  I think that's why the spices were doubled in the recipe online.  I have a cup in front of me (made with have the spices and evaporated milk) and I added 3 Tbsp of the mix to a cup of tea plus two spoonfuls of sugar since I like it sweet.  Keep the mix in a jar and it should keep for up to a month according to the cookbook I read.  I think next time I'm going to try the recipe I linked to online with the sweetened condensed milk.

I'm so glad to find a good recipe to make chai from scratch!  I like decaf chai and it's been hard to find a good decaf mix.  The powdered mixes have extra stuff in them and are usually caffeinated.  I think it will also end up saving me a lot of money =)

No comments:

Post a Comment