Monday, April 9, 2012

(Sort of) Homemade Cream Cheese Danish

I have this knack of taking things to church pot lucks that don't get eaten up.  But, I keep trying to find something that everyone will enjoy.  At our church, we have a breakfast pot luck after sunrise service.  I usually take muffins or coffee cake or the like.  This year I tried a new recipe from a cookbook that I'll soon be posting a review on.  I found the exact same recipe online so I thought I'd share it here (though I did think about keeping it to myself so that I'd have a standard recipe I could take and know everyone likes!).  The recipe is for cream cheese danish.  If you want to add some pie filling in to the recipe and layer it on the bottom on top of the first layer of crescent rolls, you can do that.  You'll notice that the recipe isn't exactly healthy, but then again--is cream cheese danish ever healthy?! (I was smiling and chuckling as I typed that thought.)


The recipe:   Cream Cheese Danish
link: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1813,144186-241207,00.html



FILLING:
2 (8 oz.) pkgs. cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 (8 count) pkgs. crescent rolls
GLAZE:
1 c. confectioners sugar
1 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
Enough milk to make desired consistency (2-3 Tbsp.)
Line greased 9 x 13 inch pyrex pan with 1 package of rolls. Mix other ingredients (save the egg white)--beat really well till mixture is creamy; spread on rolls.  The mixture will be thick.  Top with other can of rolls. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Brush pastry with egg white and bake for 5-10 minutes more till deep brown (but not burnt).  Cool. Put in refrigerator overnight.  In the morning just, drizzle glaze on top.  Cut in small pieces for serving.  

I added words and modifications to their recipe, but this is what worked for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment