Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Pursuing a hobby...

I'm an amateur photographer.  I suppose I could turn it into a business, but I'm not sure if I want to yet.  My primary job is to teach my children and I need to focus on them.  I've been pondering this a lot lately.  And I've come to a few conclusions...

1) I don't need to be good enough to I get noticed on the web.  I just need to do the best I can with my photography skills that God has given me and is developing in me.  There is this idea that pervades our culture that tries to creep into my thinking.  It is the idea that what I do is valuable only if another (or rather many) people value it.  This is one of the problems I see with social media surrounding our lives and seeing what other people do all the time.  It's hard to escape comparing ourselves to others and placing too much value on the opinions of others.



2) Every photographer has their own "bent"--what they see or are looking for in a picture.  I don't like the family pictures where everyone is wearing the same exact colors.  What I love more is when a group wear's similar colors, but clothes that express their own personalities.  I love what these pictures say about the bonds of family and diversity in every single family.  Here's a post I found with some good advice.


3) It is worth doing something we enjoy even if we aren't good at it?  Have you considered the artist or musician that simply loves to "do" their craft, but can't carry a tune or paint a recognizable picture?  Is what they've done worthless?  No.  I don't think so.  The gift of enjoying doing something is a gift from the Lord, I think.  



4) Live.  Enjoy.  Do.  Don't give up.  It takes time to develop skill.  Perhaps even longer when we pick up something new as adults!  Maybe you're like me and you expect to be able to do something right the first time.  I know that's the way my children are wired.  I see it in myself sometimes.  I look back now and I can't tell if my pictures are better than they were two years ago, but I hope so.  I've learned a lot about composition and I understand my camera now--which I didn't two years ago!  


  

No comments:

Post a Comment