Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Banana Crunch Cake

This morning I found myself stuck with 5 very overripe bananas and I knew my family did not want any more banana muffins or banana bread.  So, I started looking for a coffee cake recipe.  I found this one in my King Arthur Whole Grain Baking Book that my sister in law gave me last year (Thank you! =) ).


Banana Crunch Cake
http://dontforgettlc.blogspot.com/2010/09/banana-crunch-cake.html


Now, of course I alter every recipe I make ;)  So, here are my alterations:  
1.  I completely omitted the nuts.  My family doesn't like them.  
2.  I used nonfat plain yogurt.  
3.  I used the 1 cup of chocolate chips that the recipe calls for.
4.  I wanted to cut down the fat. So, I went to the Food Substitution Bible (cool book) and looked for the better for you substitution.  I decided to substitute 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup apple butter for the 1/2 cup butter.
5.  I also happen to use fresh ground wheat flour, so I have to add 2 extra Tbsp. per cup in recipes, so in this recipe I put in 1 + 1/8 cup fresh milled wheat flour.


For a coffee cake, this recipe is very low in fat.  Normally coffee cakes are loaded with butter or oil.  I dropped a piece off at my neighbor's house and she only took one bite before setting it down--thinking it was horrible for her because it tasted so good.  Not so!  It is pretty good for you, tastes very rich, and is decidedly yummy!  So, if you're looking for a way to use your bananas, this would be a good fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment